It's getting colder out there! With some people already digging out, it's time to start thinking about how your skin reacts when temps plummet. I know mine reacts by cracking, itching, getting overly dried out and scaly. Sexy, right? Maybe for gators, but not for this girl. Here are my tried and true ways to keep skin in check when the temps change.
1. Wash gently. Your skin is already having a hard enough time as it is. Keep the scrubbing to a minimum and try a creamy or milky cleanser. Use an exfoliating cleanser a few times a week to stop your skin from getting stuck. We still need those cells to turn over new ones! Try this cleansing milk from Avalon Organics--it's gentle, feels great and cleans without overdrying.
One of my favorite lines of all time that was discontinued (jeune d'age), but thanks to Fusion of Color, it's back! Perfect Canvas Classic Cleanser is the new name, but the formula is the same!
And while you're at it, try a really gentle approach with Norwex cloths. These cloths remove makeup without anything but water. The texture and special material grab on to dirt and debris immediately, leaving your face really smooth and really clean. These are my favorite washcloths (they are great in the shower for your whole body as well)!
2. Hydrate that skin! Skin gets thirsty when they weather dips. That doesn't mean you need to pile on the greasy formulas. Instead, look for something packed with your skin's natural hydrator, hyaluronic acid. While this mega acid works wonders, many products don't actually include very much of this crucial ingredient. Hydralon by Indeed Labs has hyaluronic acid as the second ingredient. The best part is that it won't make your skin feel greasy, even if you are prone to oily skin. And it's not anywhere near as expensive as that other serum you've probably been using. Need more than just hyaluronic acid? Try Perfect Canvas Classic Serum.
3. Give some extra love to your lashes with RevitaLash. Everything dries out in the winter and if your lashes are already fragile, this will give them the boost they need to look healthy and lush. Revitalash serum has been growing my lashes longer forever. It always gives you the look of falsies, even when you've only been using it for about a month. A little goes a really long way.
4. Avoid really hot water. In general, hot water will make your skin lose moisture. If you must take really hot showers, be sure to follow up with a body oil or lush moisturizer. L'Occitane Shea Butter Fabulous Oil is an amazing body oil that soothes the skin perfectly after a shower.
5. Always wear an SPF. I know I tell you this often, but it really is that important. Snow is reflective, which is not that much different than using a silver reflector in the summer. When the underside of your chin gets age spots, this is where they came from. Please wear an SPF. I love La Roche Posay Anthelios Cooling Waters SPF 30. It's light, fresh and sinks into the skin without feeling chalky or heavy.
6. Defeat hat head!!! Those winter hats are so cute but wreak havoc on hair. Kerastase just launched these new Carre-Lissant hair sheets that add a hydrating gloss to hair and fight static. Keep these in your purse at all times to make sure your hair is perfection--even when you've been wearing that adorable fuzzy hat.
Find Kelly on Google+, Twitter or Facebook. Official disclosure/disclaimer statement can be found here. Subscribe and never miss a thing!