I spend a lot of time in both stores. And for the longest time, I was truly a Sephora girl. But lately it seems like I'm having a more positive shopping experience in Ulta. So I'm curious. Which one do you prefer? Here are my thoughts, based on the locations I frequent. What are yours?
- Carries a wide variety of prestige product.
- Most employees either love makeup or are makeup artists.
- Displays are kept neat and clean.
- Employees are very knowledgeable about most products.
- Fairly fast shipping.
- Will check in the back for additional stock.
- Will make samples of anything.
- Great return policy.
- Will scan bar codes from phone.
- Convenient alcohol for testing and makeup remover.
- Often sold out and not replenished quickly.
- No sales, unless clearance.
- No discounts on products, unless reduced to clearance or during VIB quarterly (?) events.
- VIB benefits are rarely worth redeeming.
- Carries a variety of prestige and mass market products.
- Often carries Too Faced and Urban Decay releases on shelves before Sephora.
- Offers discounts (almost) weekly on non-prestige items.
- Rewards club quickly adds up to redeem for money off of ALL PRODUCTS.
- Has monthly sales.
- Most displays are kept neat.
- Generally will not check in back for additional stock (perhaps they have no back stock?).
- S L O W shipping.
- Employees seem to be more retail-oriented and less makeup-oriented.
- Will not make samples (unless you provide container).
- Return policy requires receipt (customer service can look up and email to you, but is not helpful if you are AT the store, as it needs to be printed out). UPDATE! This policy has changed!
- Will NOT scan bar codes for sales, coupons or discounts from phone. Everything MUST be printed (not very green, Ulta!). UPDATE! This policy has changed!
- Does not have convenient testing stations. No testing stations for mass market products.
Which is your favorite? What do you love or hate about each store? Vote for your favorite in the comments!